7/22/08

My review of the new iPhone

So I finally took a trip to my local Apple store today and checked out the new iPhone (One interesting note, there was still a line of people out the door of people wanting to buy the iPhone, 11 days after it came out). Here's what I thought.

The 3G  makes it pretty speedy. I tested the phone with Wi-Fi turned off,  and couldn't tell much of a difference between 3G and Wi-Fi (One thing to keep in mind is you won't have 3G coverage everywhere, so check out a coverage map before you buy).

Other than the speed; and the lower price of course, there isn't much difference between the new iPhone and the old one. The GPS is improved, however it's not good enough to replace your current GPS unit (unless the rumored TomTom app shows up). You still can't get iTunes downloads over the network, you still have to be on Wi-Fi to do that, you still can't record video, things that a lot of people were hoping for.

The best thing about the new iPhone is the app store. I got a chance to check out a few games, and they are really fun, the graphics are great, and these are only early games, it can only get better from here. Plus, as time goes on, developers are going to come up with all kinds of genius apps that fully take advantage of the iPhone's abilities.

Unless you need a camera and want to be able to access the internet from anywhere, I advise getting an iPod touch instead. You'll save a lot of money, you still have access to the app store and all those goodies, the iPod touch has e-mail access, it's just a better value in my opinion. However, both are excellent, and I will be saving up to get one myself.

Has anyone gotten their hands on an iPhone yet? What do you think so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment