7/9/08

The problem with subnotebooks

Don't get me wrong, I think that subnotebooks such as the Eee PC (And the dozens of other Eee PC clones) are a step in the right direction. They are low cost, easily portable computers. The problem is, they're not cheap enough to justify the weak specs, especially the higher end models. I'm all for paying $300 for a laptop, but I can't justify buying a laptop with a processor slower than 1Ghz and less than 1GB of ram. You cannot play modern games with those kinds of specs, you can barely watch videos. It also is harder to justify buying a subnotebook when I can pony up $200 more and get a full size laptop with at least a 2 Ghz processor and (at least) 1GB of ram. If I look hard enough, I can find one with 2 GBs of ram. And it has a full size screen and a keyboard I don't have to have kiddy hands to type with.

So why do people buy subnotebooks when they can get a much better computer for not much more. One thing is, they're popular right now. They're marketed as a cheap and portable way to get on the internet. And for that purpose alone, they are great. But I have a feeling most people want to do more than get on the internet on their laptop. They want to store media, play games, and have expandability for whatever the future holds. Sure, if you have enough money and you want something small you can carry with you to get on the internet with, grab a Eee PC while they're hot. However, if you have a gun to your head and are forced to choose between an Eee or a decent full size laptop, please choose the latter. You'll be much happier in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment